- TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) - Financial assistance for eligible low income families with minor dependent children living in the home. Most adults who receive TANF for their children are required to participate in the agency's employment services program which provides assistance with adult education, training and job search.
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formally know as, Food Stamps) Provides assistance to supplement eligible individuals and families with the purchase of food. An Electronic Benefits Transfer card, similar to a debit card, is issued to recipients for the purchase of groceries only.
- Medicaid/FAMIS Plus - Provides assistance for medical services for eligible families and individuals.
- FAMIS (Family Access to Medical Insurance Security Plan) - Provides medical coverage for children and pregnant women who are uninsured.
- Auxiliary Grants - Provides a supplement to individuals who receive care in an assisted living facility.
- Energy Assistance - Assists with home heating expenses during the winter season and assistance with cooling expenses during the summer. Cooling assistance is limited to households with an elderly or disabled adult or a child under six.
- The Child Care Subsidy Program assists families in paying child care costs for children under age 13 or children with special needs under age 18 who reside with the applicant. If approved for services, the Subsidy Program can pay a portion of your child care costs directly to the licensed child care provider.
Click the following link to Virginia Department of Social Services for more information about the benefits programs http://dss.virginia.gov/benefit/
You can, apply for Assistance
By contacting Powhatan Social Services at (804) 598-5630
In person at Powhatan Social Services, Monday - Friday, 8:30 to 5:00
Online at https://www.commonhelp.virginia.gov/
Or call 1-855-635-4370