- 6:00 p.m.
- The 1st Tuesday of every month
- Powhatan Village Building
3910 Old Buckingham Road
Powhatan, VA 23139
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
The Commission also schedules regular workshop meetings that are held in the County Administration Building Conference Room or as otherwise established by the Planning Commission. Dates and times for meetings are established at the Commission’s annual organizational meeting in February.
- Regular meetings that contain public hearings for zoning map amendments, conditional use permit requests, or ordinance amendments must be advertised for 2 successive weeks in a local newspaper of record.
- Advertisements must run no less than 5 days before the meeting date, and no later than 21 days before the meeting date.
- Closed meetings may be held, but must be held in accordance with the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
Postings Regular and special workshop dates and times are posted to the county website and workshops are open to the public. The news media is also notified of the workshop dates and times.
The Planning Commission is composed of 5 members that are appointed by the Board of Supervisors.
- Members must be freeholders and qualified by knowledge and experience to make decisions on questions of community growth and development.
- Members are not required by the County Code to be appointed by electoral district, but it has been the practice of the Board of Supervisors to designate one member per district.
- Of the 5 members, one member may also be a member of the Board of Supervisors.
- The Commission elects a Chairman and a Vice-Chairman at the February organizational meeting of each calendar year to serve a one-year term with re-election permitted.
The members serve for 4-year terms that expire on January 31st following a local election year. Terms of members who are also Board of Supervisors members shall run concurrently with their term of office. Appointments to fill vacancies shall be made by the Board of Supervisors and shall only be for the unexpired portion of the term.
Swearing In All members must take an oath of office, given by the Clerk of the Circuit Court, to qualify. Oath is required after every reappointment.
The Powhatan County Planning Commission is formed under the authority of Chapter 62 of the Powhatan County Code and Code of Virginia §15.2-2200 - 15.2-2204 and §15.2-2212 - 15.2-2239. The Planning Commission is charged with making recommendations on planning activities that best promote the health, safety, convenience, and general welfare of the County’s citizens.
- Preparation of a Comprehensive Plan and amendments to the Plan, subject to approval by the Board of Supervisors
- Advising the Board of Supervisors on rezoning requests, requests for conditional use permits, and proposed amendments to the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances
- Advising the Board of Supervisors on a variety of topics pertaining to planning and the future growth and development of the County
- Developing and presenting the annual Capital Improvement Program to the Board of Supervisors
- Submitting an annual report to the Board of Supervisor
Members are paid $175 per regular meeting attended. The Chairman is paid $250 per meeting attended.
Related Documents:Planning Commission Welcome Packet
Planning Commission Rules of Order