Latest News and Updates
October 6, 2022 - Personal Property and Real Estate bills have been mailed out and are due no later than Monday, November 7th. Taxes may be paid online, in person, or through mail or drop box.
- August 5, 2022 - Real Estate supplemental bills mailed out with a due date of 9/5/2022. Any questions regarding the assessment or reason for billing should be directed to the Assessor's Office at (804) 598-3752.
- June 10, 2022 - 1st Half 2022 Personal Property and Real Estate Bills were mailed.
- May 18, 2022 - The Board of Supervisors voted on the 2022 tax rates- Real Estate is now $0.77 per $100 assessed, and Personal Property remains at $3.60 per $100 assessed. The Board also voted to remove the license fees from Personal Property bills. The deadline for both Personal Property and Real Estate has been extended to June 24, 2022, however, no late penalty or interest will be assessed until after August 1, 2022.
Treasurer Roles & Responsibilities
The Treasurer is one of five Constitutional Officers that is elected by the citizens to serve Powhatan County. It is the responsibility of the Treasurer to collect local taxes and maintain the County's funds while strictly adhering to laws set forth by the Code of Virginia.
Some of the Treasurer's duties include:
- Billing and collecting current and delinquent Personal Property and Real Estate taxes assessed by the Commissioner of Revenue
- Collecting not just tax revenue, but funds that come from the Commonwealth of Virginia, local convenience centers, Parks and Recreation, utilities, and many other sources from within and out of the county
- Monitoring and reconciling all funds that come into and out of the county, as well as investing those funds securely
- Processing all transactions that come from other departments such as building permits, business licenses, transient occupancy payments, convenience center deposits, asset forfeiture, library deposits, utility payments, and many more
- Reconciling and balancing state funds received which are audited by the State of Virginia each year