- TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) - Cash assistance for eligible low income families with minor dependent children living in the home.
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formally know as, Food Stamps) Provides assistance to supplement eligible individuals and families with the purchase of food. An Electronic Benefits Transfer card, similar to a debit card, is issued to recipients for the purchase of groceries only.
- Medicaid/FAMIS Plus - Provides assistance for medical services for eligible families and individuals.
- FAMIS (Family Access to Medical Insurance Security Plan) - Provides medical coverage for children and pregnant women who are uninsured.
- Auxiliary Grants - Provides a supplement to individuals who receive care in an assisted living facility.
- Energy Assistance - Assists with home heating expenses during the winter season and assistance with cooling expenses during the summer. Cooling assistance is limited to households with an elderly or disabled adult or a child under six.
You can, apply for Assistance
By contacting Powhatan Social Services at (804) 598-5630
In person at Powhatan Social Services, Monday - Friday, 8:30 to 5:00
Online at CommonHelp.virginia.gov
Or call 1-855-635-4370